The Giroamers walking group is a different concept to the other U3A Medium walking groups.
Venue: Always from the barraca at Sant Sadurni de l'Heura.
Meeting time: 10.00am for a coffee.
Meeting Dates: Normally, the third Monday of the month.
The Giroamers Walking Group has as its HQ, a barraca near to Sant Sadurni de l'Heura ( La Bisbal). To date all the walks have started and finished here, with lunch at the barraca. This venue is not set in stone and may change dependent on circumstances. We often drive to a different location to start the walk.
We have a local "guide", Josep, who knows this area of The Gavarres like the back of his hand. During our excursions, of varying difficulty, Josep imparts local myths and legends while pointing out all the flora and fauna. There is always time for a "breather", to take in the beautiful, ever changing landscape.
Before asking to become a member of the group please take the following points into consideration:
- Each meeting has to be restricted to 20; the number of places at the Barraca for the meal afterwards. Unfortunately this often means disappointing some members.
- No one can join us for the meal unless they have joined in the walk.
- All our walks are in the Gavarres. They are sometimes quite hilly and can involve steep inclines.
- Good walking shoes/boots are needed and hiking sticks are advisable.
- Josep leads the walks and afterwards cooks a ‘surprise’ meal.
- The meals are typical Catalan cuisine, the menu is not known in advance and there are no alternatives.
If you would like to know more about the group or wish to join, please contact the Coordinator through the email facility at the top of this page. (click on the envelope)